Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Starlynns Blessing

By Garrett:

This last weekend we had family over for Starlynn's baby blessing and it was a great experience. Let me share a few of my thoughts. As Sunday arrived I felt a little stressed but I did not want to stress so I did not. As the family was ready for church and mom cook offered a prayer the spirit filled the room and it was a great feeling. I kept wanting to talk to dad about what I should mention in Starlynn's blessing but I never got around to it. Well it came time to leave for church and I was quiet and trying to figure out what to say and I just had a hard time trying to think of things to say. When we arrived at church I went to the Clerks office so I could fill out the paperwork for her blessing, but the clerk was not there and I kept checking my watch and getting nervous. Finally I found a quiet spot and said a prayer and sat their still trying to figure out what to say. I then went back to the Clerks office and they were there so I filled out the paperwork and then I went back in to the chapel and sat with my family and figured that if I was going to get my father's advice now was the best time to do it, its kind of like your down by a touch down in the 4th quarter with only seconds left on the clock and you need to make a move before its too late and so I asked dad if he had any advice to give and he told me "Follow what the Holy Ghost directs you too say and you will do great" simple but yet powerful advice. As Sacrament meeting started I sat there still trying to figure out what to say, I had been pondering what to say now for the last month or so and I had so many great things to say but they all had fled my mind and I sat their not being able to recall them at that moment. Finally the moment had arrived and now the spotlight was upon me. I was joined by many great men to bless my child and I was honored. As we formed the circle Starlynn looked up at me with a smile on her face as if to say "It's ok dad you'll do great", right there and then it was game over for me I had a really tough time trying to compose myself for this moment, my father was right the Holy ghost was right there for my little girl and even though it was a short and simple blessing the words were as powerful as they were meaningful, halfway through her blessing Starlynn started crying so I tried my best to wrap it up and as we came to a close she stopped crying and wanted to cuddle. Have you ever given a speech or a talk and after it was over you remember all the points or things that you wanted to say and you wish you had said them, well this was one of those times and boy I wish I had written them down so I would have had them to reflect upon. After the blessing Starlynn was a little fussy so I took her out and we walked around the church until Sacrament meeting was over and then she stopped her fussing and fell asleep as you can tell by the photos, before we left church we all went outside and took pictures and then we headed for home. After church we all came home and had dinner and enjoyed the company we had. It was a beautiful Sunday and it could not have been more perfect if we had wanted it to be. Thanks to all of those who participated in this great and momentous occasion you made it special.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful dress! I'm sure it was a very special day.

    ReplyDelete